Monday, July 5, 2010

Looking up...

Well, for those of you who have been checking the blog (that is, assuming there are those of you who check the blog...), you may have been wondering if I fell off the face of the Earth. I am happily still here, although I will report that life as I know it has certainly turned upside down over the course of the last week!

Although I was planning to move to Ithaca after our wedding, a too-good-to-pass-up opportunity presented itself (or, more specifically, God presented it...) with Catholic Charities. So since last Tuesday, I've been camping on an air mattress at Justin & Brian's apartment. I'm currently searching for a more temporary-permanent solution before I move into the house with Justin in October. He'll head over there after his lease expires at the end of July. Which means that for the rest of the month, we're scrambling to complete all of the projects we want to do pre-occupancy.

To that end, I'm pleased to report that we (almost) have a kitchen ceiling!!! We spent the majority of the day on Saturday hanging the vapor barrier, and put in a good 9 or 10 hour day today hanging drywall! We're pretty sure that hanging a drywall ceiling will be the most difficult of all the projects we undertake (after all, even gravity is working against you on this one!) And although I'll say we're certainly not ready to quit our day jobs, the ceiling doesn't look too bad!

Tomorrow night, we'll hang the last sections (only 18 inches wide each, which will be significantly easier to handle than the 4 x 8 foot sections we hung, and won't require the big rental lift we borrowed from Home Depot today). We've got plenty of work still to do in the kitchen, but as Justin was screwing the 6th drywall panel onto the ceiling, I suddenly was flooded with exciting ideas for painting, curtain-making, and other projects that had previously been blocked out by scary images of the bare joists. Things are looking up :) (and yes, all blog post puns are most definitely intended!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Linkwithin