Friday, January 7, 2011

The making of a (wo)man

So although I bring home half of the bacon in this family, I have to be honest that I find more joy in the cooking of the bacon than in the earning of the bacon.  (OK, perhaps bacon was a bad example because I don't particularly enjoy cooking or eating bacon...but you get the point).  When it comes down to it, I'm a traditionalist who wholeheartedly enjoys my nurturing role as wife - cooking, doing laundry, and otherwise taking care of my man.

That's why I'm over-the-moon excited that the following two things are being delivered sometime in the next week:

GE 3.4 Cu. Ft. Top-Load Washer (Color:  White on White) ENERGY STAR®GE® 7 Cu. Ft. Electric Dryer (Color: White on White)
(photos from http://www.lowes.com/)

As if getting a washer and dryer of my very own wasn't enough....THIS is also on its way:



(Photo from this seller on eBay)

For those of you who aren't as thrilled by domestic chores as I am, that is a sewing machine table.  I've been looking for one on craigslist for a while, but it's tough to find one that A) meets my somewhat restrictive criteria, B) doesn't already have a sewing machine attached, and C) (most importantly) will actually fit the machine I own.  Last night, I googled "sewing machine table" and this eBay listing popped up.  Clearly, it was meant to be mine.  It has everything I want AND it was literally designed for the machine I own (a 1970s Kenmore table).  Oh - although slightly more expensive than the far inferior $50 tables I've seen on craigslist, I was excited that it was more than $500 less than the new table I would have bought if I couldn't find a suitable old version.

As I've mentioned, I'm one happy camper.  I think I've completed my collection of things I feel I need to be a real homemaker.  Oh, wait, I still need a good vacuum - but that's less exciting, and will come with time!  :)

But I'm not the only one in our house really excited by recent developments.  Justin - like me - is a traditionalist at heart who embraces his gender role.  Being strong and protective and fixing things is right up his alley.  So finishing this project last night made him exclaim "Now I feel like a real man!"



 That's his new workbench - complete with newly wired florescent lights and a new outlet.  See the gleam of excitement and pride in his eyes when I flipped the breaker for him and both lights - and the drill (plugged into the new outlet) were working:



And that, my friends, is how this week made one happy woman and one happy man.  The end.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Linkwithin