Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Happy birthday, hubby!

 I hope that you, my readers, have been pleased with my recent posting schedule.  I promised that a new computer (and the finding of camera, cord, etc) would result in more entries.  Granted, they're not all necessarily about renovation projects, persay, but they do relate to making our lives better here at the house, and that's home improvement enough for me!

Today, we celebrate Justin's 25 birthday!  He spent the majority of the day finishing a final paper which is due tonight.  I worked a half day, then came home to prepare a birthday celebration for my favorite guy.  I take birthdays pretty seriously, and I wanted his to be great.

As you probably know, the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, and though I've already managed to win Justin's heart (lucky me!!!!), I still figure food is a way to show him just how much I love him.  I tried to incorporate all of his favorite foods into one delicious meal. 

Our menu:
  • Red leaf salad with beets (I introduced you to this favorite food here)
  • Lentil salad (with balsalmic vinegar and feta cheese)
  • Salmon chowder
  • Shrimp cocktail
  • Baked Potatoes
  • Corn
  • Garlic bread
and....LOBSTER!  Here's Justin, doing the honors to cook up his birthday treat:



Did you notice a theme?  Basically, give the man some seafood, and he's happy.  There's precious few things in life that bring me as much joy as watching him enjoy a meal I've cooked.  So, today was a happy day all around.

Few decorative items have made it to Ithaca from the Harrisburg gift storage, but fear not - I pulled together a festive table none-the-less.  The tablecloth is a piece of fabric my mom and I bought several years ago, thinking we'd make me an Easter outfit.  Obviously I'm not wearing it, and I'm considering using the fabric for curtains in the master bedroom  For now, though, it worked just fine as a table cloth!

The "Happy Birthday" sign is a wall hanging I quilted last year.  The letters are appliqued on with blanket stitch.  Up close, there are fun details such as beaded sprinkles on the cupcake.  Up close, however, you'd also see that I've yet to finish all the edge seams :)  At least if this freezing cold weather produces a snow storm, I'll have PLENTY of things to keep me busy!


Happy Birthday, Justin!  I love you, and look forward to celebrating many more birthdays with you :)

Stay tuned: upcoming posts include our first Christmas tree, outdoor holiday decorations, and more....Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Linkwithin