Wednesday, October 16, 2013

5 Favorites: Board Books!

Less you think I'm incapable of writing anything if it doesn't involve over-thinking my daily life, let's talk about something light today: board books!  (Also, I promised this post a few weeks ago in my quick takes, and one of my ongoing resolutions is to do the things I say I will - something that is very difficult for someone who is more of a dreamer than a doer and for someone who frequently plans 48 hours of activities for a 24 hour window).  Linking up with Hallie for 5 favorites, although I suspect you'll get a few more than 5 because we love our literacy!

I'm starting my list with Anna's favorites (because, let's be honest, I don't read a whole lot of board books without her) - although I do have to say that I also like her favorites, which is helpful, because there's only so many times you can read annoying books in one sitting.  All of these books also pass my stringent poetry test (WHY is IT so HARD for BOOKS to FOLlow NORmal MEter?)

Each of the pictures link to Amazon in case you are a baby, have a baby, or know a baby and are looking to add to your library!

-1-


The gold standard in our home.  No other book has held her interest for so long.  When she was teeny tiny, I'd get ready in the morning by lying her on a blanket on the floor with this book propped open, and would run across the hall, brush my teeth, run back, turn the page, go wash my face, etc.  She still chooses it 9 times out of 10 when I tell her to pick a book from her book basket.

Age 3 months, cozy Saturday morning with Dad and some classic literature.

-2-

JUNGLE BABIES  by Charles Reasoner 
(apparently not sold new on Amazon)

This book is Anna's upstairs go-to when I send her to the shelf before story time.  I picked it up in the check-out line at Jo-Ann fabrics when our old store was closing, and it has been well worth its 60 cent clearance price!  It's lilting and fun to read recite.

-3- 


Worth reading and re-reading just to prompt Anna to make all of her cute animal sounds.

-4-

  

We appreciate llama literature.  

-5-


Same author as some of the llama books.  She's got poetry down.

Honorable mentions:

- You Are My I Love You and Sleep, Baby, Sleep by Maryann Cusimano Love - both of these are so sweet that I teared up the first time I read them.

- Moo Baa La La La by Sandra Boynton 

- Mama, Mama by Jean Marzollo

- A good book to keep in the diaper bag on Sundays: Baby, Come to Church! by Virginia Esquinaldo



What are other favorites that I'm missing?  Friday is library day :)




2 comments:

  1. Right now, Lucia is loving "Babies" by Gyo Fujikawa and "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do You See?" by Bill Martin Jr. and Eric Carle. When Eleanor was born we got "The Giant Jam Sandwich" as a gift and that one was one of her favorites, although maybe when she was a bit older than Anna. Have fun at the library!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love I am a bunny! I just love the illustrations! Speaking of illustrations, I really love Amy Bates' books. She does these really beautiful watercolors and my kids have always enjoyed her books just for the sake of the pictures. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Linkwithin